Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Wiggin' Out 'Bout it Wednesday: Holiday Edition

One of the things I was looking forward to when we moved into our house was decorating. We did it up right for Halloween and now we've added some Christmas touches to the place, in time for our little get together next week.

I don't really go in for the "curated" look of houses - my place is very lived in by two slightly messy, somewhat scatterbrained individuals and I'm okay with our home reflecting that. That being said, we do want to show off the ol' girl to the best of our abilities so we've tarted her up for the holidays.

First off, I am most definitely wigging out about my tree. This tree belonged to my mother and I believe it's celebrating its 40th Christmas this year. It's maybe a little worse for wear since it's debut in '72 but I love it to death. My mom had it in her room when she was in her early 20s and I had it in mine when I lived at home from the age of 9 or so. It still has the original light set and a good number of the original purple balls (the purple garland is, sadly, RingIP). I know it's kind of cheesy but it's kind of my favourite thing. It reminds me of the excitement I used to have in the weeks leading up to Christmas (I still get excited about Christmas but now in more of a pants-firmly-dry kind of way). Plus I think The Boy kind of hates it and I get off on making him uncomfortable.

And yes, before you ask, that's a Charlie Brown Christmas tree on the book shelf. That, coincidentally, is The Boy's favourite decoration that I brought to the table in our move.

So I will burn it down.

Kidding!

Added to the Christmas menagerie is this handsome little fellow. I invested in a couple of Playmobil advent calendars the last few years (I own this one too) and I still love them to bits. It's one area where Playmobil really kicks the hell out of LEGO. Even though we already did this one back in 2010 I've largely forgotten what's in it. So if you, too, have a terrible memory every year will be a joy with this little beauty. But don't get me started on the dinosaur or princess ones. Firmly "not Christmas", Playmobil.


This is my new favourite thing this year. We got it off this Etsy seller who are just fantastic. We wanted a Christmas quote that wasn't too overdone but also something that meant something to us. We're both big big fans of the movie The Muppet Christmas Carol and one of The Boy's traditional Christmas activities is reading the original Dickens tale. Bar none, my favourite character in the Muppet Christmas Carol is the Ghost of Christmas Present. So big, so gingery, so delightful. And, like his novel counterpart, he utters the phrase "Come in, and know me better, man!" Which is kind of perfect because really, what else are you saying to someone when you invite them into your home during the holidays? So that's what we got on our banners. And now I want to kiss them.

So that's more or less the Christmas decor 'round our house. Oh there are a few garlands, some light both inside and out, and a very scary santa I picked up in my apartment's laundry room (he's a whoooole 'nother post) but basically, those are the highlights. Do you have things that make it "Christmas" every time you unpack them?

No comments:

Post a Comment