Friday, January 4, 2013

2012: The Wig That was

Jeeeezum.

How you guys?

I'm cool, I'm cool; thanks for asking. Took this week off instead of Christmas week so I'm slowly dragging myself out of the gravy-and-party-blower-induced coma that I always throw myself into this time of year.

It took a little longer than usual. My bad.

So, I will tell you about my year.

No there is too much - let me sum up

2012 Year in Review

1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?

Got my bajingo waxed. Moved in with a boyfriend. Made a mortgage payment. Became a bridesmaid. Had a physical*. Did a voice-over for a piece of theatre. Threw a house party.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Enh, I made the most basic of resolutions last year but in retrospect, I kind of dug them. After years of vowing to not make any, it turns out I actually missed the year-end tradition of self-examination. So, I'll make them this year.

I want to read a book a month. I want to learn to make 13 new dishes I've never attempted before. I want to go to 13 new restaurants. I will try to stop filling the worry spots inside me with endless shopping. I will attempt better to myself and to others.

There. Wig'd.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope nope. But if you're in the market for an ultrasound pic, my Facebook friends list is lousy with them. *shudder*

4. Did anyone close to you die?
A  really lovely friend of the family died, though we didn't see her that frequently. I couldn't get out of work to attend her funeral but my sister did. She gave, without a question, the best hugs in the world. Her life was filled with so much light and so much misfortune. The world is a duller place without her.

5. What countries did you visit?
It was all about America this year. New York City for the first time! Also made it to Ohio for my dear buddy's bridal day. And Syracuse. Twice. For a reason that may rhyme with "fopping".

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
A laptop that doesn't die whenever it's not plugged in for 5 seconds or more**, a budget I can work with, an inbox that's manageable.

7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 9th, the day of the aforementioned wedding... that whole week, really. I will never ever get tired of telling people how I came to be the bridesmaid of a girl I've only met in person twice (and one was when i was part of her wedding party)

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I did all right, me. First off, doing all the moving and signing and organizing nonsense that came with buying this house was a huge accomplishment. Plus I, y'know, *found* us the house. Which I will stop reminding The Boy about right after i DIE. Also, you should see the charts and lists required to make our trip to Ohio/New York a success. I was half-tourist/half-robot and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Also? I put together a fan, a shelving unit, a dining room table and a glass table. If you know me at all this is pretty much water-to-wine territory. I'm useless.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Honestly? Losing my phone. I was so annoyed and upset after that and it was totally preventable. I've got to get a better system to keep track of things.Seriously.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not that I can remember. A one-day head cold or tummy upset here and there but I was pretty darn healthy.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Jeez.. well, I already told The Boy he can't answer "the house" for every question on this so taking that out of the equation I've really enjoyed the queen sized bed I bought***. And I distinctly remember describing my new smartphone, showerhead and hair straightener as "life-changing" on more than one occasion. Also, my muppet, natch.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My bridal buddy was the calmest and coolest bride I've ever seen, given the circumstances. Commendable. And the way The Boy's and my families came together to make the most stressful and disorganized move EVER as successful as it was is nothing short of miraculous. We're very lucky people.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
About 48% of the American voting public ;) But seriously - y'all like talking rape, yeah?

In the personal realm, my dad's mood swings are hard to manage some days. And living with The Boy has definitely had its tense moments. But i still talk to them both so the damage can't be too deep there.

Also, ALSO: my parents opening their G.D. stockings without even thinking to see if my sister and I were interested in watching them at all. I have never been so furious on Christmas morning. Out of rage, I ate everything in the advent calendar.

Our advent calendar is made of fabric and stuffed with coins.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Food, house stuff (not the mortgage, funnily enough, but the nonsense stuff surrounding moving and unexpected expenses, etc.). My eating out and clothes/housewares shopping is kind of an issue. But that's something to work towards.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
New York City/Wedding in June basically consumed my every waking moment for about 3 months. The end of some work stuff that meant my intense period of pressure was over. New Years in Montreal. Comedy shows! (Aziz Ansari, Lewis Black, and Louis CK. My life is pleasuretown)

16. What songs will always remind you of 2009?
Gangnam Style by Psy, natch.
Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen
Blow Me (One Last Kiss) P!nk
We Built This City - Starship
A Case of You - Joni Mitchell
Down By The Water- The Decemberists

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or sadder? Hard to say. Much the same, I think; pretty content. I'm hoping for an uninteresting year.
ii. Thinner or fatter? 7 pounds heavier, my friends. My boyfriend only knows how to make pies. Working on it, working on it.
iii. Richer or poorer? Poorer in money, but I'm actually living in an asset now so.. I don't know, I'll have Marcus in accounting run the numbers.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Socializing, cooking, reading, blogging, keeping up with out-of-town friends.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Being disgusted by people, spending frivolously, eating junk.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Stayed at my parents' place, ate cinnamon buns and smoked salmon (not together, but if you want to, no judging), watched Match Game marathon, had my gramps and uncle over for dinner. Ate until pukeage seemed imminent. Had a really lovely after-dinner conversation with the gang. Nothing different, all good.

21. How will you be spending New Years?
Spent it with my sister and The Boy in Montreal, a city I am nutso for. Shopped, ate one of the most hilariously over-the-top meals of my life, lounged, laughed myself sick at Kathy and Anderson's antics on CNN, watched the fireworks, drank, had brunch with a friend. Take that worst day of the year!

22. Did you fall in love in 2012?
With a fine Venezuelan rum, yes!

Oh, and that guy that lives with me is okay, too.

23. How many one night stands?
Once you hit 20 the numbers start to blur.

24. What were your favorite TV programs?
Modern Family, Mad Men, Top Chef Canada, Anna and Kristina's Grocery Bags, rewatches of Arrested Development (still amazing).

Also, The Boy and I love/hate a tonne of Canadian game shows that we watch due to our extremely limited cable package. Supermarket Sweep, Bumper Stumpers and Talk About rule our life and raise our bile.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope. I have a fetish for my own irritation with some people but my sister's been helping me discover the "hide from feed" button on Facebook so I'm getting past it.

26. What was the best book you read?
Let's not talk about how few books I've read since getting a smartphone. The Help was the most engaging book by far. I really liked it, even if I had a problem with the "White Girl Solves Racism" tone of it. Great storytelling, fantastic and rich characters, though.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
No real new discoveries. Except maybe for the Book of Mormon soundtrack, which is mind-blowing.

28. What did you want and get?
A cute little house downtown (with a dishwasher and laundry!) more time with The Boy, a visit to the city I've dreamed about since I was 10 years old.

29. What did you want and not get?
Security on where I'll spend the next few years, a new couch (I'm currently being swallowed up by our old one - please send Indian takeout if you don't hear from me in the next few days)

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I loved Wreck-It Ralph. Straight up.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I basically begged my sister and The Boy to arrange something for me and when they wouldn't, I grumbled and gathered some friends together at a local pub the night before and had a really fun night. Drank until I was funny, then played with a disobedient corgi until 4 in the morning. Next day, avoided the giant crowds downtown and had a picnic with The Boy and my sister near the canal. Later on, they both left and I spoke with friends on the phone until the wee hours. And then I was 30.

32. What would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Hiring a moving company. A money tree. Acting more, maybe.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Let's say "Real-World Vintage". I discovered ModCloth this year and they're fantastic. But I had to remind myself I was neither a Suicide Girl nor a Mad Men extra and dress accordingly. I love most of my closet now.

34. What kept you sane?
Online shopping. That's maybe the most cringe-worthy thing I've typed in a while

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Pink is pretty fantastic - her live performance of Try made me want her in the worst way. John Hamm is a riot. Obama is all the sexy. Don't judge. And of course, for the 12th year in a row: Paul Rudd.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?

There were a few things that really piqued my interest. The impeachment of Paraguay's president and the Venezuelan presidential elections (and Chavez's health, esp. lately) intrigued me greatly, though admittedly my focus was drawn there due to work. The American presidential election had me biting my nails and refreshing FiveThirtyEight about 3 dozen times an hour, for sure. And on home soil, the 2012 budget definitely held my attention. In a "got you by the short-and-curlies" kind of way.

37. Who did you miss?
My boss who rotated out of our division in August- he does amazing (-ly bad?) accents and had a laissez-faire way of doing business that was just my cup of tea.

And of course, the friends I adore who can't be with me in the same city. Technology makes things easier but it's no substitute for in-person fart jokes.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
One of my new coworkers who does fantastically hilarious things with a little program called "Microsoft Paint" is a fine, upstanding, gentleman who brings much laughter to my days. And the crew of people we met in Ohio were just tops.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
The only thing worse than not getting what you want, is getting it. I bet 2013's gonna be full of that, too.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"So everybody put your best suit or dress on, let's make believe that we are wealthy for just this once."
-Death Cab for Cutie "The New Year"


*okay, I guess I must have had a physical before but not since I've hit double digits. Yes, Uncle-at-family-dinner, that means since I was 10. But it turns out I was fine, so joke's on you . 

**I literally have made this desire public every year since 2010. I feel good about 2013's odds, though!

***which also includes the incredibly over-priced pillows that are on it. Life. changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment